Monday, January 15, 2018

What You Cannot Do For Yourself


 

What You Cannot Do For Yourself

 

            Two blog posts in two days!  I never have time for that right?  Well this week I do and you want to know why?  Because as one of my closest friends likes to say, “God is doing for you what you cannot do for yourself.”

            Yesterday I posted about self-care and balance.  I was talking about how we need to take the time to do what we need to do to make sure we are healthy and happy.  I had spent the weekend with my girlfriends and felt refreshed and ready to go back and face my ever-busy life.  We packed up our things and had brunch together before heading out in separate directions, they drove off towards Indianapolis and I toward Philadelphia.  I got as far as the intersection before the on-ramp to the highway and my car died…

            Now in Pittsburgh there are a lot of really nice people I have found.  Not one, not two, but four cars pulled over and offered me help.  I got a jump and a push and got my car over into an office complex but two of the men who stopped to help knew something about cars and they thought that there was something wrong with my battery but more likely something wrong with the alternator. 

            Now I HATE dealing with my car when it has trouble.  I have always hated dealing with my car.  It isn’t rational and it isn’t right-sized and I panic every single time.  I managed to stay relatively calm, and called AAA.  I will admit that I cried on the lady on the other end of the phone and she was really nice about it.  When she heard I was trying to get to Philly she actually asked me if I knew the theme song to “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and I sang to her a few bars which had us both laughing and got me out of my panic and apparently made her day.  I got towed to Firestone which was one of the only places open and they replaced the battery.  BUT they told me the alternator was also dead and would need to be replaced and they didn’t have one in stock and would have to order it in the morning.

            Panic set in again.  I was supposed to be back in Philly this morning for a 9 am meeting with a treatment center to talk about them using my book in their family program so it was a meeting I desperately did not want to miss.  I asked them if they thought I could make the 5 hour drive to Philly on the new battery.  They hesitantly told me I might and I launched a scheme in my head to buy a battery pack at Pep Boys to use to jump start myself along the way…  Yeah.

            Fortunately I spoke to a friend and was gently dissuaded from this idea.  I accepted my situation for what it was and I ended up getting a hotel room across the parking lot from Firestone and checking in for the night to wait.  I would have to re-schedule the meeting and wait for the part to come in this morning.  I went back to Firestone to let them know and the most amazing things began to happen.  The man at Firestone asked me if I was missing something important and I told him it was a meeting I was excited about but that it was a first-world problem that could be solved.  He started telling me his wife always talks about acceptance.  Turns out his wife is a drug and alcohol counselor and he himself is in recovery.  We ended up having the most amazing conversation about acceptance, surrender and each other’s concept of a higher power that lasted about half-an-hour.  It was two strangers connecting on a universal level and sharing some very intellectual and intimate ideas about existence.  It was simply amazing.

            Then I go to the room at the hotel to discover it not only has a kitchenette but a recliner.  I have leftovers with me from the weekend, my favorite blanket and my computer.  Last night I ate, curled up under my fleece blanket in the recliner and napped which is something I hardly ever do anymore.  I spoke with each of my sponsees and was not in any rush and had no agenda at all.  I woke up this morning refreshed and had time to sort through some things on my to-do list and sit here and write this piece.  And you know what?  The person I was supposed to meet this morning?  She sent me an e-mail first thing this morning cancelling our meeting and asking if she could re-schedule it anyway.

            Just imagine if I had done what my ego wanted me to do?  Imagine if I had risked driving with a dodgy alternator and my car had died somewhere between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the dark and I tried to jump start it on my own knowing as little as I do about cars.  Now I may have gotten stranded or I may have made it home but it would have been incredibly foolish and stressful and the meeting would have been cancelled anyway…  Instead I accepted life on life’s terms and I got one more day of self-care

God was doing for me what I could not do for myself indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment